This delicious starter or light lunch combines the healthy, nutritious flavours of Sardinia. (inspired by a recipe in Plenty More by Ottolenghi )
- 3 large eggplants, cut into large slices
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 ½ cups of chickpeas, well cooked, preserved cooking water or if using canned, 2 Tbsp. of can fluid mixed with equal amt of water
- 1½ tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 sm. lemon rind, pith, seeds removed
- ½ c. greek yogurt
- ½ cup mint, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup flat leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- salt and pepper
recipe by STIR Cooking School
Place eggplant in a bowl with ¼ cup oil, season with salt and pepper. Roast on parchment paper for 40 min. and cool.
Mash the chickpeas with cumin seeds,3 Tbsp. oil , lemon flesh, ½ tsp. salt, pepper and 2 Tbsp. cooking fluid. This should be a spreadable paste.
Place yogurt in small food processor with 1 Tbsp.oil, 2 Tbsp. water, herbs, ¼ tsp. salt, black pepper. Blend until you can drizzle the yogurt, adding water if necessary.
Serve on a platter as a starter with crushed chickpeas on top followed by a drizzle of yogurt.
STIR Cooking School